simple meringue cookies
Here's a basic meringue cookie recipe that can be modified any way you like; today I dropped a bit of almond extract and topped the cookies off with slivered almonds to customize them a bit. In the past I've use pistachios, chocolate shavings, and raspberry.
Makes 2 dozen:
2 egg whites
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
1 teaspoon vanilla
3/4 cup sugar
Preheat oven to 300 degrees Fahrenheit.
1. place all ingredients except sugar in a mixing bowl with a whisk attachment (works best if placed in the freezer for 15 minutes beforehand) and mix until firm.
2. gradually add sugar until well mixed
3. If using additional extracts, now is the time to add those.
4. either use a spoon to dollop onto a Silpat (silicon mat) or scoop into a frosting bag to pipe a custom shape
5. bake for 25 minutes or until the cookie appears solid.
cool for five minutes prior to relocating the individual cookies.
photos | Sidney Morgan